Miscarriage - Medical Causes and Prevention with BUMP®

Any unwanted, spontaneous pregnancy loss prior to the 20th week of pregnancy is considered a miscarriage. Miscarriages are a relatively common occurrence, affecting nearly 15% of all pregnancies. However, repeat miscarriages, defined by either three consecutive first-trimester losses or two with one in the first trimester and one in the second trimester, suggests that there may be an underlying medical condition. At BUMP® we recommend women experiencing repeat miscarriages should consult a recurrent miscarriage specialist within our collaborative medical services network to avoid further losses.

Pregnancies that are confirmed only by a blood test (hCG) are considered chemical pregnancies, because the gestation is confirmed through chemical means, instead of ultrasound visualization. Clinical pregnancy is pregnancy that has reached a stage where the gestation can be seen on ultrasound. Miscarriages refer to losses of pregnancies that reached this “clinical” stage, past the chemical stage.

The miscarriage of a clinical pregnancy can take place either before or after the ultrasound show a fetal heart rate. In a normally progressing pregnancy, a fetal heart should be present sometime between approximately 5.5 and 6 weeks from the first day of last menstrual period. If a pregnancy stops growing before fetal heart, or if no heart is seen by the expected time (which is usually a sign of an abnormal pregnancy), then the pregnancy is generally considered to be a “blighted ovum” or missed abortion.

Whether a pregnancy loss occurs before or after fetal heart activity is quite important, because the timing of the miscarriage can provide a hint at the underlying cause.

Roughly 60% of all pregnancy losses are genetic in nature--in these cases, genetic abnormalities of the fetus causes the miscarriage. This leaves about 40% for other miscarriage causes, but exact statistics are hard to come by. The prevalence of the various other causes of pregnancy loss also depends greatly on the patient population being investigated. In general, the later the pregnancy loss occurs, the less likely that it is genetic in nature.

The reasons for miscarriage can include:

  • Genetic (Caused by genetic abnormalities of the developing fetus. Represents up to 60% of all miscarriages. Risk is higher with advanced maternal age.)
  • Uterine abnormalaties (Fibroid tumors or congenital uterine abnormalities such as septae. Can often be resolved with surgery.)
  • Medical Conditions (Diabetes mellitus, thrombophilia, thyroid disease, Stress, infection, PCOS, endometriosis, high cholesterol, nutritional deficiencies etc.)
  • Immunoligical causes (Antiphopholipid Antibody Syndrome (APA), Reproductive Autoimmune Failure Syndrome (RAFS)).
  • Environmental, Lifestyle Inhibitors eg: parasites, toxins etc

Miscarriage Management

The good news is BUMP® fertility can assist with broad and extensive medical and health sevices and assistance through our associated medical clinics as well as products/goods to prepare your body for pregnancy, prevent miscarriage and support you and the baby during pregnancy.

fall pregnant natually